Monday, July 7, 2014

Why I'm a NO Mom



It's super popular to be a "yes mom" right now.  When I was looking at nanny positions several years ago, a few of the jobs I found said that they didn't like telling their children "no".  And even some moms who understand that "no" has it's place, still want to say yes to their kids more often than no.  I do too!  But I can't, and let me tell you why.

-Olivia cannot have straight brown sugar in her cereal bowl for breakfast.
-Axel cannot have the large red cement balls outside of Target. 
-Olivia cannot walk to the park alone.
-Axel cannot drink his water out of my glass (because it's actual glass and he can barely lift it)
-Olivia cannot buy two giant Elmo's for her and her brother.
-Axel cannot run into the street.

It seems like other kids are asking their parents for picnics (sure!) or snow cones after lunch (absolutely!) Christmas music in July (Yes!) or making the day special by going to the splash pad (please!)  But my kids ask for, and freak out about, things that would make me kind of a bad mom, so I do the right thing and say no.  Yes, occasionally I try to divert them to something fun but different but that is exhausting. 

Last week I asked Olivia what we could do to make the day special and she said go visit my parents in California.  So. . . that was a no, but I wish! 

12 comments:

  1. Teaching your children how to accept "no" for an answer is a great gift. Diversion is a good tool, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will get easier as they get older! In some ways. . . ;)

      Delete
  2. I think it is important to say no, it helps set boundaries for the future. I also think that it gets easier to say no the more you do it. I want my kids to know I am the adult, I make the decisions... and they need to respect that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so important not to waffle on a decision.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! I wrote a comment and it didn't post. Why are we having this problem again? I even opened in Safari out of twitter. I basically said I feel bad for kids who never hear the word no. It's going to be a rough life when they get a little older because life doesn't always say yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang comments!! But thanks for coming back and trying again! But yes, I've noticed that problem a lot in my high schoolers in the past.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree...because being a "Yes" mom early on affects them even in school--they get a sense of entitlement which makes it hard for us to actually teach them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA is it bad that I laughed out loud at this post? Kids are ridiculous! "Can I have this giant red ball cemented to the ground? No?!! YOU ARE THE WORST!!" Hahahaha oh kids and their logic. Also I tried to post a comment on several of your posts and they keep deleting soo I'm sad about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw!! I'm sad about that too, but thanks for trying. It's the thought that counts. Maybe soon I'll start blogging again! Love you cousin!

      Delete
  6. Hey there, just found your blog! Love this post! I've been reading tons of "yes mom" stories as well, and while I would love to say yes to everything too, it is just not possible! By the way, my son always asks for the big red balls outside of Target too! That is too funny!

    Lizzie
    www.multipurposemama.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! That is so funny about the Target balls, but can you blame them? They look so cool!! :)

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)