Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The center of attention


I'm a strong believer that if you want to "find yourself" you need to look back at the person you were in elementary school.  Middle school messes us up and then in high school we're just trying to hard to fit in, that by the time we hit graduation so many people need a gap year just to figure things out. 

Somehow I thought I was shy, but slowly (even towards the end of high school) I started remembering who I was in kindergarten and elementary.  Loud.  Energetic.  I mean, I couldn't stay in my seat, half the time I was standing at my desk.  (Also I'm really short so maybe I also needed to see over heads)

But tonight, after coming home from a meeting, I realize that I'm learning to harness it.  That not every thought I think needs to come out my mouth.  That I don't have to point out the joke in every situation.  It's better if I can save it for the really good moments. 

This is kind of rambly.  But I like me.  And I like you too.  Let's all just be ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this. I agree...I was loud and silly in elementary school - just wanting everyone to think I was funny. That part of me came back after college...but really I don't need to be that person in every situation. I'm trying to pull back too. Funny, everything you write I always think "Yeah me too!"

    ReplyDelete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)