Friday, October 3, 2014

But I like to try

My best selfies always include a kid.
So for a few days last month, I think everyone on my facebook feed had shared the Colbie Caillat video, Try.  And I kind of like the message. . . As a feminist I don't think that a persons' self worth or strength should come from their looks.  But what if I like to put a little makeup on?  I know that I'm still a worthwhile person while in my pajamas, but I feel more awake and happy if I'm dressed. 

And in the same way, I feel better about my day when I have a little makeup on.  (I should mention that I have such natural dark circles around my eyes that as a kid people often asked me if I had a black eye.  So I'm not just trying to look pretty, I'm trying to not look like an abuse victim)  I have a mirror in the kitchen above my dining room table.  When I'm feeding my children their meals and I see my reflection in the mirror, it's nice to feel put together and healthy looking. 

Wearing makeup and doing my hair and putting on clothes isn't about being a 1950's housewife, but if it helps me feel away and happy, I'm going to keep on "trying".

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I feel much more confident and productive when I make sure to put a little makeup on in the mornings and do my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, every time I try and stay in my pajamas and get some cleaning done, it never works. I'll get a lot more done after a shower, regardless of the time! :)

      Delete
  2. I feel more awake and confident when I put makeup on and get dressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for me it's more about being productive than looking hot. :)

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)