Friday, October 17, 2014

Food Friday: Homemade Apple Sauce

The food of September is the apple.  And that's when I made this.  I just didn't get around to posting it until now.  Oops!

This is such a simple recipe, so it's fun to get your kids in on the action, especially if they're any good at peeling apples.  Olivia isn't, but that didn't stop her from giving it the ole college try.

We peeled and cored 10 apples and then I just kind of took it from there, with a giant scoop of creamy honey, lots of cinnamon and a couple glugs of my imitation vanilla (I know, I know, my argument is that I don't really bake and I'm not that picky!) Cooked that sucker in my crockpot for 4 hours on high and then mashed it with a potato masher.

It was SO yummy, but not very pretty. Okay FINE, yes I really just forgot to take a picture. But it still wasn't pretty, so you're not missing out.

(Hey!  I've been working on uploading all of my iPad pictures to my picasa web album and check out the gif they made with these pictures.  Equal parts creepy and cool that they do that with out me telling them too. . . )

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to use up apples from apple picking! I have that same apple corer, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's my moms but maybe she won't miss it ;)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait until Rhys is old enough to help cook!

    ReplyDelete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)