Friday, September 13, 2013

Food Friday: Corn and Pumpkin Soup

Sorry for the pumpkin post already fall haters, but like it or not summer is on the way out!  Bring on the pumpkin.


Sunday morning we woke up to rain and chilly temps.  Fall weather opens up a whole new section of recipes to choose from: Soups!  Adam wont eat soup from March- October, but my dinner choices were limited, plus RAIN.  So I knew we were good to go.  Throw in some homemade bread and you can't go wrong. 

When we left church it was sunny and warm.  Whatever.  I was a girl on a mission.  Also, there wasn't many options in my kitchen.  Grocery shopping took place promptly on Monday morning.

I decided to caramelize some corn and onions like Bridget showed me how in her amazing recipe for sweet potato burritos (I made them last month.  How long do I have to wait before I can make them again???)  Embarrassed to say, that in all of my cooking training, I really didn't know the proper way to do that.  So I threw in some corn and a finely chopped onion, a little bit of olive oil and let them sizzle on medium for 30 - 40 minutes (I can't remember)  Bridget says to put them on lowest heat, but I think it depends on your stove.  Mine on lowest heat would have taken a month to caramelize.  I was too hungry for that.

Ingredients
1 onion, finely diced
1 c of frozen corn, thawed
2 c pumpkin, about 1-14.5oz can if you have one, or just measure two cups out of the giant can
2 c broth, I used vegetable broth because that's my jam, but you can use chicken if you want.  Beef?  I feel like that would be weird.
1 c milk, I used almond milk because I'm not a fan of dairy (unless it's sour cream, cheese of any kind or ice cream, basically I don't like milk)
Garlic powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste (guys I suck at measuring spices)
Sour cream for garnish

Directions
1. Caramelize onion and corn on the lowest heat that will maintain a low sizzle.  Stir every 5-10 minutes for about 30-40 minutes.  Let your heart guide you on this one.
2. Add pumpkin and broth.  Bring to a boil (it will more likely bubble and splat.  Stir it frequently until it's heated through.)
3. Add milk and heat through.
4. Serve with sour cream, if you want.  (Adam thinks that's weird.)

Who wears pink bibs and loves pumpkin soup????  This guy:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)