Monday, November 18, 2013

All my clothes were in prison for 36 hours

Every post needs a picture, right?  Here is my laundry room.  Full house tour coming soon.  I know you can hardly wait.

So Monday every thing was starting to feel great.  Moving into a new house always starts out like camping, you know?  No heat, no hot water, eating on paper plates because you don't know where that box is, sleeping on the floor because your bed isn't assembled yet.  That was Saturday and Sunday.  By Sunday night our bed was set up and our gas turned on (thank you heat and hot water!).

Back to Monday.  The kids were playing so great in Olivia's room.  We still didn't have TV or internet so the camping feeling remained a little bit, but I was starting to think we'd never need to watch a show again the way these two were playing! (the novelty of new rooms wore off when Axel discovered the stairs.)

One of the things I loved most about this house was the laundry room.  Most other townhouses we looked at had the bifold doors with washer and dryer behind them, but this one had an actual laundry room.  While the kids played I sorted lots of laundry and started a load.  Soon Axel came crawling out to play with a box of trash (because we need to buy trash cans for the kids' rooms).  I put the box on the dryer and because I was somehow worried he would get it up there (huh?) I went to close the door to the laundry room.

It didn't quite close.  The dryer stuck out about 1/2" too far to close the door.  So with Axel in my arms, I used my hip to kind of shove back the dryer.  I probably didn't even move it.  I tried the door.  Still a little tight.  But, eh, what the heck, I bet I can force it closed.  So I did.

About two minutes later I went to open it. . . and nope.  The dryer had been pushed back by the door when I shoved it closed, but it had popped back into it's place once the door was out of the way.  Does that make sense?  The dryer was blocking the door from opening!  Not to mention the load of clothes washing in there, I'm sure the spin cycle vibrations didn't help keep the dryer from wiggling forward a little.

I panicked.  I tried to open it with force, no dice.  I texted Adam right away.  I've learned in marriage if you do something stupid like over draw the checking account or get the dryer stuck in front of the laundry room door, it's best to confess it right away.  Then I texted my friend Rachel in a panic.  She helped me calm down, but I was still certain we were going to have to bust down the door.  My new house!

Well Tuesday night my father-in-law came over and with the use of a crazy little tool (I have no idea what it is supposed to be used for) Adam was able to shove the dryer back just enough for me to open the door.  Then my father-in-law scooted the dryer back as far as possible.  The door clears it now by maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

I keep it open.  Olivia closes it a lot.  Good think my FIL let us keep that little tool. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that is a funny little story to tell everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so funny, but also really stressful, so I honestly did not know how to feel about it! Knowing how it all turned out, it's pretty funny :)

      Delete
  2. You're probably waiting until you house is a little decorated before you post pictures, but don't! I want to see pictures now! :) How many bedrooms/bathrooms? How many square feet? Is it upstairs/downstairs? Probably based on your post. I'm excited you're in your new house, but even more than that, I'm excited you have a laundry room! I didn't have a laundry room until I'd been married 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not very big, but having a place to keep dirty clothes once their sorted (instead of in piles in my bedroom) has been soooo nice so far!! I will post pictures soon. I have the ones from the previous owners, which is good because I didn't take any pictures before we painted and I love a good before and after! It has three bedrooms, three bathrooms. I think it's like 1300 sq feet. And yep, downstairs is the kitchen and living room (and the powder room and garage) and upstairs is the bedrooms and laundry (and two bathrooms). I will love it once we finish unpacking!

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)