Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Goals: 4 in '14

So last year I did 12 in '13.  12 goals in the year 2013.  I loved having a different focus each month and I loved that I worked hard on each one, even though I didn't accomplish them all 100%.

But the one thing you notice when you do a challenge like that is that a month isn't very long.  So when I worked out regularly in June (perhaps working out every day was a bit overkill) I was all too happy to drop it like it's hot when July rolled around. 

So my idea for this year is to focus on four goals, three months each.  To help me make my goals I'm going to use Luke 2:52: And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.  My goals will be intellectual, physical, spiritual and social.


January, February, March
Physical: Lose 24 pounds.  Live the healthiest lifestyle I know how.

I had a hard time deciding if this should be my first or second goal.  Years of New Year's resolutions have made healthy eating and exercise a natural desire in January (I wouldn't be surprised if you were the same way!) and I want to take advantage of that motivation.  But, I'm going to try and wean Axel after his 1st birthday (Jan 22) but I don't know, what if it just takes longer than I thought?  And what if I continue to struggle with my weight due to breastfeeding?  And so I changed the goal from weight loss to living as healthy as I know how, which is basically how I planned on losing weight, but now I can still succeed regardless of how my body reacts. 

So in those months I want to limit my sugar (all junk really, but sugar is my biggest temptation) and work out three times a week.  Oh and continue to eat healthy diet consisting of mostly whole grains and vegetables. So easy to type, so hard to live.

April, May, June
Social: Spend time with a friend once a week.
I am no introvert.  Extro to the max.  But here is the thing.  Getting two kids ready to do anything just wears me out.  So by the time we've done grocery shopping and any other errands I'm like: "Let's just have a home day, okay?"  So is once a week a bit much?  I don't know.  It will be spring time and we'll probably be itching to get out of the house.  Plus, there is a little park right by my house and by then I should know a few neighbors so. . . . yeah I'm keeping it.

July, August, September
Intellectual: Read two books a month
At first my goal was listening to two TED talks a week, but since writing this a bunch of bloggers have posted a list of the books they read in 2014.  I think I read two, Tina Fey's and Mindy Kaling's.  So I want to step it up and read at least two books a month for July, August and September.

October, November, December
Spiritual: Daily gospel study, focusing on a different topic each month.
I chose to do this one last because it seems fitting to focus on spiritual things during Christmastime.  Although, I should have realized that I would already lean that way and choose to beef up my spirituality in other times of the year, but no!  I've already planned out the whole year, no changes now.  I'm not sure what topics I want to study each month, I think I'll choose those when I get closer to the time.

Thanks for sticking around, I know this was long!  Did you post your new year's resolutions?  Leave a link so I can read 'em!

8 comments:

  1. "Four for 2014" has a nice ring to it! I blogged about my resolutions here: http://www.thankfulme.net/2013/12/time-for-change-resolutions.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Wish we could hang out once a week, ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't say that, it's going to make me cry. Obviously I wish this too. Happy New Year to you woman!!

      Delete
  3. I agree, a month flies by so devoting 3 months to each goal is a better idea. I love the Spiritual one for Oct.-Nov. I am hoping to work on that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed you read the Bible last year! We're studying the Old Testament in Sunday School this year and I'm so excited to get to know it better.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, splitting it up like that! I'm still trying to figure out the best way for me to accomplish goals.

    ReplyDelete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)