Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Body Image


There are so many articles that you can read about raising a daughter and worrying about body image.  What legacy will you pass down to her?  Everyone is posting them and as the mom of a beautiful girl I read them all.

Losing weight after Olivia was hard.  Losing weight after Axel is impossible.  I'm serious.  Some people can lose weight while they nurse, but I am not one of them.  (I did not nurse Olivia)  My body clings to each and every calorie so that it can continue to make milk for Axel.  When I lost a couple pounds, my milk supply dipped.

Honestly, I don't mind being chubby that much.  But I feel like I'm supposed to mind.   When I tell people I can't lose weight while nursing they all have a solution for me.  "Try Weight Watchers" "Count calories"  The rebel in me wants to stay fat forever just to prove a point.  Well, that's not healthy.  But what if I'm happy like this for now?

I'm not saying I'm giving up and accepting my new weight.  I don't want to live an unhealthy lifestyle.  I still plan to eat healthy and exercise as regularly as possible.  I have some progress to make in both areas, for sure.  But can't I be happy with out being perfect?

I want to reject society's idea that my body must be perfect for it to be beautiful, but at the same time embrace that if I truly love my body I will feed it the best foods and exercise it regularly.

I want Olivia to remember me happy, regardless of my weight.  I want her to enjoy a wide variety of foods and live an active lifestyle.  I don't want her to use the word "diet" on a regular basis or remember a mom who is always planning to "start my diet on Monday".

Loving myself is the best way to teach her to love herself as well.

*     *     *

On a less serious note, I'm super excited to do a link up with my friend Tiffanie next week!  Next Wednesday we're co hosting a link up for lunch ideas, called "Easy as PB&J".  It's hard for me to find lunch ideas for me or my kids that are quick and yummy.  I want something simple and easy, just like peanut butter and jelly but that also tastes good (I'm not a fan of the PB&J, but Olivia likes them alright)  You don't have to be a stay at home to do this.  If you take homemade lunches to work we would also love for you to share your ideas!  We'll be posting next Wednesday and we'd love for you to join us! 

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. I struggle with my weight and body image way too often. And I'm constantly saying - my diet starts on Monday. You've inspired me, Kim :) Thanks for being so positive and reminding me that I don't have to be a "perfect weight".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I think you're absolutely perfect and beautiful.

      Delete
  2. YES. I find myself looking at the mirror and pinching my fat and such, and then I realize Lincoln is on the bed watching me. I don't want Lincoln to grow up to be one of those men who look at women only to size them up (literally and figuratively). I really need to be a better example to him, and to accept my body for how it is right now. Definite yes to eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle (though from reading your blog, I'd say you already are, don't be so hard on yourself!), but it's ridiculous to compare yourself to people who live their lives only to be skinny. Or people who are photoshopped into a body that is only physically possible for maybe 5% of the population. Anyway, I'll stop ranting. But I agree with all of this, and I need to be better myself.

    Also, can't wait for the easy as PB&J posts! I keep looking for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I've been trying to change my point of view I feel so awkward during conversations about body hating. If I say "I like my body how it is" pretty sure people will look at me like I have a third eye. No one is supposed to love their body like it is now :)

      I'm excited too! I just hope people will link up!

      Delete
    2. So true, it's like to fit in you have to have all these things you hate about yourself. Maybe next time I'll just spend the time complimenting their bodies and such instead until they shut up, haha.

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to post something about this but I've hesitated. I feel like I'm never "allowed" to say anything on body image because I'm always thin. But gosh I want to! love your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read it! You should do it :)

      Delete
  4. This is a great post! I say as long as you are comfortable in your own skin, you can be whatever weight you want . . . especially while you are still breastfeeding! As a (mostly retired) ballerina, I have seen (and probably participated in) attitudes toward food/body image that were not very healthy and I am very conscious of not wanting to pass that down to my daughter. I want her to be healthy & happy whatever her body type ends up being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, what I pass on to Olivia is the most important thing ever!

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)