Friday, July 12, 2013

Food Friday: Eggplant Parmesan

We get a basket of produce from Bountiful Baskets once every couple weeks.  Last Saturday we had an eggplant in our basket and on Sunday I changed dinner plans and decided to make eggplant Parmesan.  I was missing a couple ingredients so I made some substitutions and it still turned out great!  I forgot to take a picture, so you'll have to enjoy this little graphic that I made instead :)


Ingredients:
1 eggplant
Salt
1 egg
1 c breadcrumbs (I didn't have any so I put a few slices of stale bread in my food processor)
1 T Italian seasoning (I didn't have any so I used basil and oregano instead)
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
1 c parmesan OR mozzarella (the recipe called for mozz and I only had parm, so I went with it)

Directions:
1. Begin by peeling and slicing your eggplant into 1/4" slices.  Salt generously and let sweat for 30 minutes.  Rinse well and pat dry.
2. Wisk egg.  Mix bread crumbs, seasoning and 1/4c parm cheese.  Dip eggplant slices into egg, then bread crumb mixture. 
3.  Bake eggplant slices for 5 minutes at 350 F.
4. Remove eggplant from oven and layer in a 9x9 baking dish: eggplant, marinara, cheese, repeat.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.

This fed two adults, one toddler and a lunch for Adam the next day. . . so I would say serves 4 normal people, especially if you have sides.  I served this with fruit salad.  Green salad and french bread would also be good.  Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. do you like bountiful baskets? I've been wanting to sign up forever but always chicken out. I'm nervous about not having control over what we buy.

    on another note eggplant parm is one of my all time favs. my step mom makes it all the time and it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that we can decide on a week to week basis if we want to get it or not. Yeah, sometimes food goes bad because it is a lot for two people. I've learned to freeze a lot of what I can like bell peppers for fajitas and I freeze A LOT of fruit (because my husband always orders extra fruit). It's fun to learn about new veggies I've never tried before so if you're feeling adventurous I say go for it! Let me know if you try it, I want to see what you make!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm . . . I actually like Eggplant Parm better than Chicken Parm. This looks tasty! We used to get a box, but had to cancel after the baby was born and I had no time for cooking . . . maybe we'll do it again next year when G can "help."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it better too! It's great having Olivia "help" with dinner because she ends up eating the vegetables I ask her to "chop" (with a plastic knife in her high chair) :)

      Delete
  3. You lost me on step 1. I need a more intense tutorial:) Totally in love with the graphic. Cutest thing ever. Also jealous of bountiful baskets. I had a sweet setup a few years ago. My friend ordered and picked up, and I paid. I was so sad when she moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! I'll have to do a step by step with pictures one day :)

      Delete
  4. Your illustration is so cute :)

    x

    Marielle

    ReplyDelete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)