Tuesday, July 2, 2013

To Adam, With Love


I am not an easy person to be married to.  I recognize this, and I hate this about myself.  Do you know what my worst enemy is?  It's a word.  One word.

Fair.

Adam gets to get a haircut with out arranging for a baby sitter first?  Not.Fair.
Adam gets to sleep through the night every night? Not.Fair.

You know what I never focus on?  The way marriage isn't fair in my favor.

Adam doesn't get to snuggle babies all day?  Not fair.
Adam doesn't get to watch old Arrested Development episodes while eating lunch.  Not fair.

But you know what?  He never brings that up.  And when I freak out at him for telling me he's tired (YOU don't wake up with the baby, YOU'RE not allowed to be tired!) he let's it roll.  He never has to one up me.  He always apologizes.  He never throws it back in my face, even though he totally could.

So thanks Adam, for being my rock.  I know that's an over used sentiment in the marriage world (at least in my mind) but I don't say it lightly.  I don't joke that I'm crazy, I honestly feel that I am if only just a little medium amount.  Thanks for letting me throw temper tantrums about things you did not cause or problems you could not have prevented.

The low times can be pretty low.  I hope I make the good times worth it. 

9 comments:

  1. We're so grateful that Adam is in your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, thanks for posting this! It's nice to know I'm not the only hard person to live with obsessed with "fair" (on my side). McKay's a friggin' saint, and I'm . . . pretty much terrible. Like the other day, I practically threw a hissy fit because he was going out WITH THE MISSIONARIES. You'd think I could be supportive of that, but no. Like I said, I'm terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to throw fits when that's the behavior we see modeled all day long :)

      Delete
  3. I can totally identify with this. It definitely feels unfair when my hubby gets to go out to eat with co-workers or friends without worrying about child care. But yeah, it's all about perspective. Glad you have a solid guy at your side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww what a sweet guy!! i definitely agree thou, my husband never throws things back in my face...unless i make him really, really mad oops!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be so happy you married someone who let's stuff slide when you have kids. :)

      Delete
  5. Amen. I married a saint I think. I'd hate to be married to me some days.

    ReplyDelete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)