Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Parable of the Jello Jigglers

Even though I didn't notice it, a lot of my identity formed at a young age.  I've loved sewing since I was 6 or 7, always wanted to be an interior designer and I loved cooking dinner for my family even in elementary school.
One year for Christmas I got my first cookbook and my first set of measuring cups!

A treat I liked making was Jello Jigglers.  It was super concentrated Jello so that it would hold it's shape when cut with cookie cutters and the like. 

One day I asked my mom if I could make jigglers.  She agreed after making me (and my brother too maybe?) promise to clean the kitchen before I began.  I worked hard, cleaned the kitchen so clean that not a crumb could be found.  Then we carefully boiled the water, measured, stirred the entire five minutes until my arm felt it was going to fall off, poured into the molds and waited.  Jigglers take like ten hours to set up.  But our patience paid off and they turned out great! 

A few weeks later, remembering that fun experience, I asked my mom again if I could make them.  She reluctantly agreed, but no promise to clean the kitchen was made.  This was great!  All of the fun, none of the work!  I measured, stirred and poured, and ten hours later I had grainy blobs that tasted okay, but they just weren't as good.  What happened? 

I honestly will never forget that.  By working for something first and earning it I put forth my best efforts and carefully crafted my jigglers.  The second time I took it all for granted and slopped together a mess.  The lesson was clear: Hard work pays off. 

What taught you to be a hard worker?

10 comments:

  1. I don't remember a specific incident, but my mom is a very hard worker. I probably just learned by example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my parents had a HUGE role in it as well :)

      Delete
  2. I always clean the kitchen before cooking. I can't seem to focus in a dirty kitchen - that and I end up breaking a wine glass or something. In answer to your question, I think the strict discipline of ballet really taught me the importance of hard work (that, and my parents).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I always clean before and after (now). And parents teaching hard work for the win!

      Delete
  3. Oh that picture is my ALL TIME FAVORITE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus you got that wonderful apron! :-) Glad i could be of service and teach you a thing or two along the way!! (AND get a clean kitchen!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I forgot that apron was also a Christmas gift that year!

      Delete
  5. The first thing I learned to make was a Swedish tea ring and once I was "showing off" by making it for a friend and I ended up scrambling the eggs while mixing them into the batter. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fancy! I'm impressed and you don't even have to show me :)

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)