Friday, October 25, 2013

Food Friday: The Best Oatmeal

I have a confession.  I don't really like oatmeal.  I eat it, almost every day, and eh, it's just not my favorite.  My favorite is Lucky Charms, but I'm not 6 so I try to eat healthier than that.  Mostly.  And oatmeal is healthy, fast, inexpensive and my kids love it so it's oatmeal all around. 

My life was changed two years ago when my friend Mary posted about her breakfast.  I was totally inspired and this is the only oatmeal I actually enjoy eating!  (The funny thing is I posted about a banana peanut butter smoothie I made that night and Mary was inspired by me!)

1/2 c quick oats (I just like how they're creamier than old fashioned but you can use that too)
1 c water
honey
1 banana
2-3 T chopped walnuts or almonds

Cook the oats, add the other stuff.  :)

I'm not wild about those ingredients on their own, but together they are synergistic and mmmmm.  The walnuts are my favorite because they add just the right crunch, but almonds are also yummy (I think Mary used almonds in the one she posted about).

Okay the only oatmeal that I enjoy eating more than this is peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal, but that's more of a dessert. 

How do you make oatmeal?  I would like to have more than one oatmeal recipe that I enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. I don't ever make oatmeal because I don't like it, either! But this sounds yummmmy! I'll have to try it this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oatmeal! I'm thinking about adding it to my protein shakes to make them last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love smoothies with oatmeal! I just hate washing my blender #excuses

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)