Friday, October 4, 2013

If I could teach the world to sew

Three years ago, as an award, I got to attend a conference in Vegas for three days.  Lamest conference ever.  With one small exception.  The last speaker talked about the joy and fulfillment that comes from doing a hard days work with something physical to show for it at the end.  He used the example of Dwight from the office, needing to show his worth with a poster of positive attributes.  If Dwight had something physical to show for his days of work, he wouldn't feel the need to validate his efforts with a poster. 

Of course, he was speaking to a group of teachers who all, like me, taught hands on subjects.  Sewing, cooking, welding, auto, the subjects that so many schools have taken out.

This is not political, this is not to say other careers are not valid, awesome, or fulfilling.

But if I could teach the world to sew.  Since quitting teaching, I've started my etsy shop and started sewing for my sister-in-law's baby bedding company.  Working hard on a project and having something at the end that you can hold up, it just feels good.  It's been so cool to see that I can use these skills, that at first were just fun for me, to make a little money for my family.

There is money to be made everywhere if you have a hands on skill.

Granted, you have to be really really good at that skill.  Cooking?  Cater parties.  Sewing?  Never did I know the need for sewers (tailors???) until I started working for Oilo.  Auto?  Open a little shop.  Welding?  So many options.  And the great thing about these professions is that they aren't all or nothing.  Often they can be done on an as needed schedule.

I guess because of this economy, this realization was pretty cool to me.  I hope someday I have the chance to teach a sewing class again and express just how awesome an opportunity it is to be able to create with your hands.

8 comments:

  1. you can teach me please! my efforts at sewing sheets turn out completely opposite of what I intend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time Aubrey and I have a sewing night we will invite you!

      Delete
  2. and by sheets I mean always. auto correct fail

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true. I was so proud of my finished quilt back the other night. Same for finished craft projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years my crafting ADD prevented me from finishing anything, so yeah it's awesome to finish projects!

      Delete
  4. I have always wanted to know to sew . . . someday I'll find the time to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start small and you'll pick it up fast I'm sure!

      Delete

I like to respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)